The Regional Plan Association, the region’s leading not for profit urban-planning, research and implementation non-profit is seeking a highly creative, dynamic and thoughtful graphic design intern to join our team in New York City. The RPA is on the verge of releasing it’s 4th Regional Plan. You will have a once in a generation opportunity to put your visual mark on a report that will shape the region for years to come.
The intern will work with research staff to create visual materials across a variety of media that convey the mission of our organization and engage people in our research, programs and website. The ideal candidate will have an interest in urban planning and environmental issues and some experience with mapmaking / map design.
This is a part-time to full-time, paid position best suited for undergraduate or graduate students in design. Applications from recent graduates also considered. The internship is slated to run from September to December 2017, with the possibility of an extension.
- Work with policy and planning professionals to translate research and data developed for the 4th Regional Plan into engaging reports, presentations, graphics and visualization for print and web
- Assist with photo selection and editing for the 4th Plan print and website
- Develop materials for special events and initiatives
- Interpret complex topics and convert them into easy-to-understand visuals
- Design content for RPA’s website and social media platforms
Ideal candidates should possess:
- Strong skills in visual design including conceptualization, layout and typography
- Resourcefulness, flexibility, and a passion for details
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (inDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
- Experience producing and optimizing visuals for the web
- Interest in cartography and map design with an understanding spatial data (GIS, shapefiles, geojson)
- Interest in data visualization, its best practices and tools including Mapbox, Carto, D3.
- Familiarity with social networking (Facebook, Twitter)
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Ability to work in a high-productivity environment on multiple concurrent projects both independently and collaboratively
Please submit your cover letter, resume, link to your portfolio and any other relevant information here. Applications without all attachments won’t be considered. Because of the high volume of applications we receive, we regret that we are unable to reply to every applicant. We kindly request no phone calls regarding this position.